Mohit's Internship Experience at Mindtree


About Mohit Ajay Pandey:

I am a B.Sc graduate in zoology from Kanpur University. I wanted to be a doctor, but life took me to an MBA. Hence, currently pursuing an MBA from Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies, Pune (2018-2020). I have opted for HR specialization as I always wanted to work on something related to people, earlier as a doctor, now as an HR profession. I completed my schooling from Army Public School, Chandimandir Cantt. I am a poet by passion✍. I have performed and conducted several poetry and storytelling sessions in my hometown. I do keep performing in Pune too whenever I get some time.

About the Internship

  • Company - Mindtree
  • Industry - IT
  • Role - HR Intern
  • Location - Bengaluru
  • Duration - 2 Months

How was your overall experience?

I consider myself lucky enough to get the first-ever corporate experience in a company like Mindtree. Being an IT company, our working days were just 5 days a week. the most important thing I believe that matters, when you work in an organization, is its culture. And I can proudly say that I worked in an organization which is known for its culture. 2nd important thing that I realized is employees in Mindtree are known as “Minds” and not employees. These are a few small things which made me still remembering internship days. How can I forget the sarcasm we crack in the bay (team space)?

How was the selection process conducted? 

The selection was based on resume shortlisting. Four people got selected out of which I was the only Non-engineer guy who was shortlisted. I was shocked as well as curious to know why did they shortlist me. The 1st round was face to face interview in Pune office which went excellent. The interviewer was friendly and I remember cracking many PJs in front of her, hence making her laugh. The 2nd round was a skype interview with the HR Manager in Bengaluru. it went for 20 minutes and I was satisfied that I did my best. Unfortunately, I didn’t get through. A week later, they called and informed they need more interns and I had my telephonic interview. After going through 3 rounds, I finally made it to Mindtree.

What was your project and how did you execute it?

My project title was “designing an effective solution for cross-functional collaboration within the organization”. This required excessive research about the concept of cross-functional collaboration, how exactly it is working in the current organization, what other organizations follow this and how. So, I got to meet with some senior people who were heading different domains and projecting my design to them, followed by using their expertise to make my design better. I also had to make digital posters (they call it memoirs) for the star performers of last financial year. I enjoyed both projects very much.

How was the work culture at Mindtree?

I would say it’s the best across the industry when I compare it with experiences my friends have. It’s totally employee-friendly.

What were the key challenges that you faced during your internship?

It was a little difficult for me to understand what exactly they were expecting from me about the project. After a few meetings, it became clear. Also, the technical part was the major challenge as being a non-tech guy, I couldn’t design a working solution. But my mentor and her team were too co-operative to help me in each step of my internship.

What were the key learnings of your internship?

It's difficult to put learnings in words. Being a fresher, how an organization and especially HR department works was an important learning. Also, whatever we read in books in our syllabus, HR is much beyond it and a vast concept to understand. The basic AI that companies use, it was all fascinating. Working with people of different departments, matching with their frequency is also one of the major learnings.

Any memorable moments from the internship?

So, I was preparing digital memoirs and mother's day was near. So I decided to prepare a separate memoir for the female star performers who have kids at home. I released that poster on Mother's day, it was a Sunday and I received lots of responses appraising me about the thought that I put in was memorable. I got a mail from my vertical head and it made my entire internship a memorable. I took a screenshot of that just to remind myself that yes, I can do much better.

Any tips you would like to share with our juniors?

Don’t lie to the interviewer and always keep yourself open to learnings. Use creativity wherever you can. Ask questions as many as you can.

For any other queries, you can reach out to Mohit @Linkedin and @Instagram

Post a Comment

0 Comments